The vegan lemon-blueberry cupcake recipe started off as a very basic vegan vanilla cupcake recipe from a friend. While the basic vanilla version is delicious in its own right, I wanted to change it up to make it even better. One of my favorite flavors in baked goods is lemon and when added to tart blueberries, they make a scrumptious paring. With a few changes, this is what I came up with.
Before you get started, here are a couple recommendations. Use apple sauce in place of the oil to make the cake lighter, and a tiny bit healthier. When making the icing, use a beater to make it extra fluffy. The apple cider vinegar may seem like an odd ingredient but it “curdles” the soy milk to make a kind of vegan buttermilk to act as a thickening agent in place of eggs. This recipe makes 18 cupcakes, so keep that in mind when buying cupcake tins.
• 2 cup soy milk
• 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
• 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 tbsp. cornstarch
• 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
• 1 tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. salt
• 2/3 cup apple sauce
• 1 1/2 cup sugar
• 4 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
• 1 package of blueberries
• 3 tbsp. Earth Balance vegan butter
• 5 oz. Tofutti Vegan cream cheese
• 2-3 cups confectioners’ sugar
• 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
• 2 tsp. lemon extract as seen fit
1. Preheat oven to 350 and line muffin pan with cupcake liners
2. Whisk the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle
3. In a large bowl combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda and salt
4. In separate bowl, beat together soy milk/vinegar mixture, oil/apple sauce, sugar, and lemon extract. Stir the dry ingredients and mix until no large lumps remain.
5. Fill cupcake liners 1/4 full of batter, add a few blueberries then add more batter until about 3/4 full
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until done
7. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting
1. Mix butter and cream cheese until smooth, mix in lemon zest and extract
2. Slowly add sugar until thick enough to spread.
3. Frost and enjoy!